The Business Sherpa Group Inc. has developed this site as a public resource for individuals wanting information about the Human Resources, Finance & Administration and Strategy & Governance business services offered by the Business Sherpa Group, as well as information about the Sherpa List™, which allows prospective employers to subscribe to lists of names on individuals who have knowingly and willingly placed their name on a Sherpa List™ for the expressed purpose of having their name and contact details forwarded to potential employers.
By registering or by using this site, you explicitly accept, without limitation or qualification, the collection, use and transfer of the personal information provided by you in the manner described in this Policy.
Scope of this Policy
This Policy applies to businesssherpagroup.com (the “Site” or Sites”), which is owned by Business Sherpa Group Inc. It is The Business Sherpa Group’s policy to comply with data protection legislation. This regulates the processing of information relating to you and grants you various rights in respect of your personal data.
The Sites contain links to other web sites over which we have no control. Business Sherpa Group is not responsible for the privacy policies or practices of other web sites to which you choose to link from this site. We encourage you to review the privacy policies of those other web sites so you can understand how they collect, use and share your information.
We also do not control the data use practices of either (a) employers or others who may access your information on this site, or (b) third party Ad Networks and other third parties with whom we work to serve you personalized ads on our sites. We encourage you to review the privacy policies and opt-out choices of those third parties so you can understand how they collect, use and share your information.
Information We Collect and Retain
You do not have to give us any personal information in order to look at various job opportunities or to read the content portions of our Site. We collect the following general types of information about you when you visit our Sites: personal information, demographic information, behavioral information, and indirect information. Sometimes we collect combinations of all these types of information. In each case, it is indicated on the web site whether any personal or demographic data must be provided to use the requested service or not.
Personal information is information that can be used to identify you, or any other individual to whom the information may relate, personally. We do not collect personal information unless you choose to provide it to us. Some examples of personal information that we collect in some areas of our Site, depending on the services you use and local law, are:
- Your name
- Email address
- Telephone number
- Credit card number
- Contact information
- Billing information
- Information about third parties, such as references or contacts, that you provide to us if you have their express written consent to do so
Demographic information is information that is not unique to you in the sense that it refers to selected population characteristics, such as your ZIP code or postal code, age, preferences, gender, race or ethnicity, occupation, career history, interests and favorites.
We also collect behavioural information regarding how you use our sites and mobile applications, the areas of our site that you visit, what services you access, and information about your computer hardware and software including your IP address, geolocation, browser and operating system type, domain names, access times and referring Web site addresses. This information is necessary for analyzing the use of resources, troubleshooting problems, preventing fraud, and improving our services.
In addition, Business Sherpa Group may collect indirect information about you when you use certain third party services on our web site. For example, if you provide a title of “Mrs.” we will assume you are female.
How Information is Used
We use the information we gather on the web site for the purposes of providing our services, responding to any queries you may have, operating and improving the web site, fostering a positive user experience and delivering the products and services that we offer to jobseekers and employers. Our services include the display of personalized products, content, and advertising relating to your career experience and interests, either on our site or other sites with which we have a business relationship.
By registering with Business Sherpa Group, by managing your profile, or expressly opting in when presented with choices, you have consented for us to use your information, subject to local law, in the following ways:
- to allow you to create an account;
- to create a profile for you based on information that you have provided to us;
- to contact you about Business Sherpa Group Site updates, informational and service-related communications, including important security updates;
- to provide you additional communications, information, and promotions such as newsletters and career advice;
- to inform you of other products or services available from Business Sherpa Group or its affiliates;
- to enable you to provide feedback, to contact us and for us to respond to you;
- to conduct surveys, questionnaires, promotions and contests, and to provide the results thereof such as success stories and contest winners;
- to provide information about you and your potential interest in job postings to employer customers;
- to provide products and services that enable users to network, post information on bulletin boards, view and compare profiles, and career background and experience;
- to generate internal reports about the use of our site; and
- to provide ‘forward to a friend’ features.
Some of our products and services, such as our Sherpa Lists, enable third parties to see your personal information and to contact you. Profile information may be used for networking with other community members or may be visible to employers who are using the Business Sherpa Group Sites.
Information you post in public areas of the site or placed in the Sherpa Lists may be accessed, used, and stored by others around the world, including those in countries that might not have legislation that guarantees adequate protection of personal information as defined by your country of residence. By providing your personal information for inclusion in our database, you acknowledge that you consent to your information being used as described here. While Business Sherpa Group takes measures to safeguard your information from unauthorized access or inappropriate use by third parties, Business Sherpa Group does not control these third parties and we are not responsible for their use of information you post or otherwise make available in public areas of the Business Sherpa Group Sites. Accordingly, you should ensure that you do not post sensitive information, including personality profiles, to any Business Sherpa Group Site.
Disclosure of Information to Others
We disclose to third parties within your country and abroad your personal information, combined personal, demographic, behavioral or indirect information, as set forth below.
1. We may share your information with third parties who help us in the delivery of our own products and services to you. We disclose information to companies and individuals we employ to perform functions on our behalf. Examples include hosting our web servers, analyzing data, providing marketing assistance, processing credit card payments, and providing customer service. These companies and individuals may be located in a country whose data protection legislation is different from your country, and they will have access to your personal information as necessary to perform their functions, but they may not share that information with any other third party or use that data for any other purpose. We will remain the data controller and be responsible for any information shared in this way.
2. We may disclose such information to third parties if you consent to such disclosure. For example, if you place your name on a Sherpa List, then all parties with access to our Sherpa Lists (or copies thereof) will have access to the contact details you provide. If you indicate by configuring your profile that you would like to receive information about the opportunities, products or services of third parties, we supply your contact information to select third parties such as employers, recruiters, data aggregators, marketers or others for the purpose of sending you e-mail or otherwise communicating with you. We use data we have about you (such as the interests and preferences you have expressed) to determine whether you might be interested in the opportunities, products or services of a particular third party.
We also share aggregated anonymous information about visitors to the Sites with The Business Sherpa Group’s clients, partners, other Site visitors, and other third parties so that they can understand the kinds of visitors to the Sites and how those visitors use the Sites in order to serve advertisements to you on our Sites or other sites with which we have a business relationship.
3. We disclose information if legally required to do so, or at our discretion pursuant to a request by a governmental entity or if we believe in good faith – after considering your privacy interests and other factors – that such action is necessary to: (a) conform to legal requirements or comply with legal process; (b) protect our rights or property or our affiliated companies; (c) prevent a crime or protect national security; or (d) protect the personal safety of users or the public.
4. We may disclose and transfer such information to a third party who acquires any or all of The Business Sherpa Group’s business units, whether such acquisition is by way of merger, consolidation or purchase of all or a substantial portion of our assets. In addition, in the event Business Sherpa Group becomes the subject of an insolvency proceeding, whether voluntary or involuntary, Business Sherpa Group or its liquidator, administrator, receiver or administrative receiver may sell, license or otherwise dispose of such information in a transaction approved by the court. You will be notified of the sale of all or a substantial portion of our business to a third party by email or through a prominent notice posted on the Sites.
Again, in each of these situations, the recipients of your data may potentially be located in any country in the world. If you are a resident in any EU member state, for example, you must be aware that the EU authorities do not generally consider that the regulations of non-EU countries ensure an adequate or equivalent level of protection as compared to the EU data protection regulations.
An Important Note about Your Name on a Sherpa List
When you apply and are accepted for a Sherpa List on the Sites, your name and contact details are is stored in our database in Canada.
If you are placed on a Sherpa List that an employer subscribes to, the relevant employer may retain this information or distribute it to third parties, subject to local law. We cannot control their use and retention of your contact information.
We attempt to limit access to our Sherpa Lists to legitimate users such as paying employers, recruiters, hiring managers, headhunters and human resource professionals, as well as law enforcement and national security agencies, but cannot guarantee that other parties will not gain access to this database. You may remove your name from our Sherpa Lists at any time; details of how to do this are given below. However, employers, recruiters and others who have paid for access to that Sherpa List, as well as parties who have otherwise gained access to the database may have retained a copy of your information in their own files or databases. We cannot control the retention, use or privacy of profiles that have been downloaded by third parties. Accordingly, you should not put sensitive information, personality profiles, or other information you would not want made public, in your resume.
If you provide us with details of a reference, it is your responsibility to ensure that the person is aware that you have forwarded his/her details and has consented in writing for you to do so.
Posting Your Information to Public Areas of Business Sherpa Group
Please remember that if you post any of your personal information in public areas of Business Sherpa Group, such as in online forums or chat rooms, such information may be collected and used by others over whom Business Sherpa Group has no control. We cannot control the use made by third parties of information you post or otherwise make available in public areas of Business Sherpa Group.
Your Choices About Your Information
Because managing your career is a life-long process, we retain all the information we gather about you in an effort to make your repeat use with us more efficient, practical and relevant until you change or remove your personal data as described below. You may have access to, review, correct, update, change or delete your account profile information at any time. Simply log into your account, go to your profile, and make the necessary changes. You may delete your profile from The Business Sherpa Group’s online database at any time by accessing your account. Before providing you with a copy of your personal information or correcting, updating or deleting such information, we reserve the right to verify and authenticate your identity and the personal information to which you have requested access. Access to or correction, updating or deletion of your personal information may be denied or limited by Business Sherpa Group if it would violate another person’s rights and/or as otherwise permitted by applicable law. We will respond to information access requests within 30 days of receipt. If we require additional time to provide access to your information, we will acknowledge receipt of your request within 30 days and promptly supplement our response within the time period required by applicable law. We will respond to information access requests within 30 days of receipt. If we require additional time to provide access to your information, we will acknowledge receipt of your request within 30 days and promptly supplement our response within the time period required by applicable law.
If you wish to delete or close your account or account profile information altogether, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org An email will be sent to you to confirm that your personal information has been deleted (save for an archival copy which is not accessible by you or third parties on the Internet). The archival copy is retained only for as long as Business Sherpa Group reasonably considers necessary for audit and record purposes. We will also retain logs, demographic, indirect, and statistical information that may relate to you but do not identify you personally. If your personal information was previously accessed by others using our Sites, we are not able to delete the information or copies thereof from their systems.
If you previously opted to receive newsletters, commercial e-mails or other communications from Business Sherpa Group or third parties, but subsequently change your mind, you may opt-out by editing your account profile as described above. If you previously opted not to receive such communications, you may later opt-in by editing your account profile.
You are responsible for ensuring that your log-in credentials (your username and password) are kept confidential.
Business Sherpa Group has implemented technical and organizational measures designed to secure your personal information from accidental loss and from unauthorized access, use, alteration or disclosure. Notwithstanding such measures, the Internet is an open system and we cannot guarantee that unauthorized third parties will not be able to defeat those measures or use your personal information for improper purposes.
When you place an order online at Business Sherpa Group, your credit card information is protected through the use of encryption, such as the Secure Socket Layer (“SSL”) protocol. SSL makes it difficult for your credit card information to be intercepted or stolen while being transmitted. Business Sherpa Group uses a service company to process its credit card transactions. For further information on this company’s privacy and security practices, please contact us at email@example.com
Business Sherpa Group is not intended for, nor do we knowingly collect information from, children under the age of 18.
Changes to Privacy Statement
If we decide to materially change the substance of this Privacy Statement, we will, where required, contact you via the email address that you maintain in your profile. We will also post those changes through a prominent notice on the web site so that you will always know what information we gather, how we might use that information, and to whom we will disclose it.
Legal and Contact Information
If, at any time, you have questions or concerns about this Privacy Statement or believe that we have not adhered to this Privacy Statement, please feel free to email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or contact us at
Business Sherpa Group Inc., 58 Hansen Avenue, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada K2K 2L7
We will use reasonable efforts to answer promptly your question or resolve your problem.
* Cookies: Business Sherpa Group uses “cookies” to help personalize and maximize your online experience and time online, including for storing user preferences, improving search results and ad selection, and tracking user trends.
A cookie is a text file that is either stored in your computer’s memory temporarily (a “session” cookie) or placed on your hard drive (a “persistent” cookie) by a Web page server. Cookies are not used to run programs or deliver viruses to your computer. Cookies are uniquely assigned to your computer and can only be read by a web server in the domain that issued the cookie to you.
We use “persistent” cookies primarily to ensure that we do not show you pages that you have already seen and to personalize your site experience and save you time. “Persistent” Cookies enable us to recognize whether you have responded to any poll or seen an advertisement or information notice placed on the site so that we do not show you the poll, advertisement or notice again the next time you visit our site. If you are a recruiter and have an alliance arrangement in place with Business Sherpa Group we also use “persistent” cookies to recall your alliance status and display your correct pricing information when you access our site. The “persistent” cookies we use will remain on your computer after you have left our site and will expire when you log out of the Site or 60 days after your last visit for security cookies, 90 days after your last visit for poll response and alliance cookies, or two years after your last visit for advertisement and information notice cookies.
We use persistent cookies and related technologies (such as web beacons described below) to determine and track direct and indirect traffic in response to Job Postings either on Business Sherpa Group.
You have the ability to accept or decline cookies at any time by modifying your browser settings. See below for instructions. If you choose to decline cookies, however, that may hinder performance and negatively impact your experience on the web site.
Additionally, Business Sherpa Group uses “Flash cookies”, also known as “Local Shared Objects”, to preserve video player settings and for user authentication purposes. You can adjust your settings for your Flash cookies here.
Thank you for using Business Sherpa Group!